While a beautiful bunch of flowers can really liven up your garden or home it’s important to know which ones are safe for your family pet. Most people don’t realise that some flowers can be toxic and potentially fatal for your furry family member.
For example, Lilies are exceptionally toxic to cats and ingesting any part of the plant can cause complete kidney failure within 36-72 hours after consumption.
Symptoms include vomiting and signs associated with kidney failure including disinterest in food, lethargy, depression and no urination.
Daffodils are another common plant with potentially disastrous repercussions. Daffodils can cause stomach upsets and vomiting if your pet eats the foliage, flowers or pods. Other plants you may not suspect, like Aloe Vera, can also be toxic.
Be mindful of fertilisers. Organic fertilisers can obstruct a dog's stomach and cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and pancreatitis when consumed in large quantities.
Seeded fruit can also be problematic. Grapes and raisins are extremely toxic to dogs and should be kept away and stored in a safe location at all times.
Symptoms of poisoning may not occur until a few days after the incident. If you suspect that your animal has had access to any of the poisonous plants please seek veterinary attention immediately.
A happy pet is a safe pet. Make sure your animal is able to explore their environment without fear of poisoning.
Animal Emergency Centre (AEC) has a list of common toxic plants that you can review for further information: