The current government has made a lot of new changes and some of these include the following: · 13 Environmental State Planning Po...
The current government has made a lot of new changes and some of these include the following:
· 13 Environmental State Planning Policy’s including the Coastal Policy has been reduced and combined into only one very very weak policy.
· Massive weakening of the Nature Conservation Act
· Reduction of steam line buffers eg. Vegetation around creeks are not protected (they changed the water act)
· Reef catchments are not protected (they changed the water act)
· Property owners are allowed to self-assess their vegetation management, so basically they can clear whatever they want to regardless of what wildlife or vegetation is classed as ‘high valued’ or endangered’.
· Reduced protection of vegetation that directly filters into the Great Barrier Reef.
· Lifted all restrictions on urban development
· Resorts in National Parks will be approved without research, impact statements etc..
· Empowering local councils without guidance, monetary funding and resources.
· The cutting of all red tape for the mining and development industries including a huge discount for billion dollar mining industries not having to pay royalties to the government for the rape and privilege of our land. This was brought in so that people like Gina and Clive will apply to open more mega mines like the ones that are going to take out the entire Galilee Basin.
Current changes on the table waiting to be signed and implanted:
· Take away all rights of any person, people, group etc. to oppose any proposed mines. (See below information further down from EDO. Please download submission and send to help stop this going through).
· DEHP will only have an advisory role they will not enforce any laws.
· Govt plans to weaken the Commonwealth law so that the commonwealth law cannot override the government like it did with the decision to protect the Tarkine (one of the world’s oldest growth forests in Tasmania). And so that the government cannot be sued over the consequences of any decisions they make.
· Weakening of offsetting (it was weak in the first place but will be even worse)
· More dilution environmentally and ecologically to the Planning system and Sustainable Planning Act